The Information Technology Center provides many services to keep REU students, faculty and staff safe online.
Top Security Tips
Do not share sensitive data
- Do not share personal information via email.
- Do not open email attachments from sources you do not trust.
- Back up your devices regularly.
- Do not click on internet pop up ads or videos, especially on social media.
- Keep your browser and operating software up to date.
Keep passwords private
- Do not share passwords, and change your passwords often.
- Longer passwords are stronger passwords. We recommend 8 or more characters.
- Use multi-factor authentication.
- Do not display passwords on or near your device!
Be smart with your smart phone
- Enable secure access and have a password, pattern or fingerprint to unlock your screen.
- Delete emails that contain confidential information.
- Report a lost or stolen phone.
- Do not store confidential information in your phone such as PINs or credit card information.
- Beware of GPS tracking in your device.
Only join secure wifi networks that require a password
- Faculty/Staff should use a VPN to connect to the REU network when off campus.
- Do not pay bills, access bank accounts or shop online over public WiFi.